SCM

Forum: support

Monitor Forum | Start New Thread Start New Thread
RE: Moodle: Multiple Questions, 1 random data set? [ Reply ]
By: Achim Zeileis on 2019-06-04 13:12
[forum:46787]
OK, thanks for the offer. I'll try to get in touch when I'm back from useR! and before the family vacation :-)

Thanks again!

By: Rebecca Killick on 2019-06-04 12:36
[forum:46786]
Unfortunately not at UseR this year as I'm at a conference in Germany at that time.
Happy to have a quick video chat instead if you want informal feedback. Feel free to email me r.killick@lancs.ac.uk to arrange a time.

By: Achim Zeileis on 2019-06-04 12:08
[forum:46785]
Rebecca, thanks for the follow-up, very useful. Will you go to useR! in Toulouse next month? If so, it would be great to catch up and learn some more about your experiences from this semester.

Best wishes,
Achim

By: Rebecca Killick on 2019-06-04 10:48
[forum:46784]
I'm not a Moodle expert either but when I asked our Moodle guys they thought it was not possible to do the last step.

The cloze questions work well but it is just very annoying that Moodle doesn't allow you to do analyses on the individual parts of a cloze question, just the question as a whole.

Overall it was a successful trial this year from a student perspective. But from a staff perspective it was not easy to disentangle which parts of questions students found difficult (or just got wrong) in order to determine if there were common mistakes that I missed and should be included as partially correct answers for next year.

Thanks for all your help in answering questions whilst I was preparing this.

By: Achim Zeileis on 2019-03-19 22:26
[forum:46624]
Thanks, Rebecca, for the thorough follow-up!

One more question: Is there any possibility to customize the draws via the "exsection" funktionality?

What I mean: When I do exams2moodle(c("foo.Rmd", "bar.Rmd"), n = 5) I get the following structure by default:

- 2 sections "foo" and "bar"
- each with 5 random replications
- in Moodle I configure the quiz to have two sections and for each one question is sampled

Alternatively, one could try to have:

- 5 sections "draw1" to "draw5"
- each with 2 questions "foo" and "bar"
- is it possible to configure the quiz in Moodle to sample 1 of the 5 sections and display that without further randomization?

The question is whether the last step is possible in Moodle. I haven't tried or even looked at the docs, yet...

By: Rebecca Killick on 2019-03-19 22:14
[forum:46623]
Thanks for implementing this so quickly.

I tried this with moodle and we were correct in our thinking. Moodle just takes a random first question and a random second question and so does not link them. For anyone else reading this: you either need to give a different data set per question, or use cloze to have all your questions appear in a single moodle question.

Interestingly when I trialed it as an instructor it did give me the same linked questions but for a test student it didn't.

You may wish to remove the "envir" option from exams2moodle to avoid any potential confusion in the future.

Thanks again for your quick reply so that I could trial this out.

By: Achim Zeileis on 2019-03-18 01:10
[forum:46621]
Rebecca, I have just added the "envir" argument to exams2moodle(). You can install it here from R-Forge.

But I agree with you that I don't see a way to match the random draws across exercises. Let me know if you find a solution for this.

Usually, I recommend to solve this problem by using a "cloze" exercise that combines the individual questions. That's why, so far, I hadn't thought about adding the envir argument. However, for 30 parts this would certainly be challenging.

So essentially I can just confirm your concerns but not offer a better solution. Personally, I would probably break it down into a couple of close exercises. If you find a better solution I could imagine others in this forum would be interested...

Moodle: Multiple Questions, 1 random data set? [ Reply ]
By: Rebecca Killick on 2019-03-17 20:43
[forum:46620]
Hi,

I'm wanting to create a moodle administered quiz where students are given a dataset in question 1 and then asked to use that data set for all further questions (about 30 parts in total).
Using exams2pdf() I can do this using "envir=.GlobalEnv". Can this be done in Moodle?

I'm thinking that the answer is "put all your questions as parts in a single moodle question file" and this would work but would be ugly and appear very long.
I'm not sure it is possible. exams2Moodle() can't take a "envir" argument. I also can't see how Moodle would be able to match the seeds across the questions (and make sure the students get the right set of questions). I'm just asking to make sure that i'm correct in my thinking and that the ugly way is the only way to do this (or to give different data for each question).

Thanks,
Rebecca

Thanks to:
Vienna University of Economics and Business Powered By FusionForge