SCM

Forum: support

Monitor Forum | Start New Thread Start New Thread
RE: Error due to group sizes in exams2nops [ Reply ]
By: Achim Zeileis on 2018-12-06 23:30
[forum:46458]
Great if the package is useful for you! If you want to write a short report about your experiences with the package (both useful things and limitations/pitfalls) for the R/exams blog, let me know!

By: Nathaniel Graham on 2018-12-06 12:16
[forum:46457]
Achim,

Thanks, that was the problem. I had thought that I had updated everything to have 5 alternatives instead of 4, but I missed a couple.

The exams package is really excellent software and it's definitely made my life easier. Thank you for making it public and supporting it the way you do.

By: Achim Zeileis on 2018-12-05 23:46
[forum:46453]
Nathaniel, the problem appears to be that some questions in this group have a different number of answer alternatives than other ones. E.g., some have 5 and others have 4 alternatives.

exams2nops() currently cannot deal with this situation because the title sheet has to be the same for all exams. In part because this was easier to implement, in part because this is less confusing for students.

Error due to group sizes in exams2nops [ Reply ]
By: Nathaniel Graham on 2018-12-05 16:56
[forum:46452]
Achim,

I ran across the following error when using exams2nops():

the following groups of exercise do not have the same length: <list of exercise names from the second group in a list of four>

Using exams2pdf() builds correctly (I get a warning, which I copied to the end of this post, though I suspect that it's a formatting warning from Latex), and I don't understand the error; why would the groups of exercises need to be the same length? The list I'm using has four elements (four groups of exercises) drawn from different sets of exercises, which I use in conjunction with the nsamp to produce different variations of essentially the same exam with the same length.

Since I'm in a hurry, I downloaded the source, commented out the lines in exam2nops() responsible for the check (lines 73-76 in the file exams2nops.R), and then rebuilt and reinstalled the exams package. Everything appears to work correctly (with 25 copies of the warning below, since n=25); I spot-checked several versions of the exam and nothing's broken, so I'm not sure exactly what's going on.

Warning message:
In system(paste(shQuote(texi2dvi), if (quiet) "--quiet" else "", :
running command '"C:\PROGRA~1\MIKTEX~1.9\miktex\bin\x64\texify.exe" --quiet --pdf "fin3310exam31.tex" --max-iterations=20 -I "C:/PROGRA~1/R/R-35~1.1/share/texmf/tex/latex" -I "C:/PROGRA~1/R/R-35~1.1/share/texmf/bibtex/bst"' had status 1

Thanks to:
Vienna University of Economics and Business Powered By FusionForge