SCM

Forum: support

Monitor Forum | Start New Thread Start New Thread
RE: Introduce an answer with no penalization in multiple choice (export to moodle) [ reply ]
By: Achim Zeileis on 2016-01-21 16:18
[forum:42865]
Thanks for letting us know. Such a follow-up is always appreciated (no matter how soon or late).

Actually, I did wonder about whether the feature worked everywhere where you needed it. But it seems that it solved your problem. That's good!

;-)

RE: Introduce an answer with no penalization in multiple choice (export to moodle) [ reply ]
By: Xavier Fernández i Marín on 2016-01-21 15:54
[forum:42864]
Sorry for the delay as well. I think I neved had the chance to say thank
you to the implementation of the feature. Thank you, then.

Best,

By: Achim Zeileis on 2015-05-18 15:26
[forum:42250]
Xavier, sorry for the delay, we finally incorporated this feature into the development version of exams2moodle(). So for schoice and mchoice exercises you can either do something like:

exams2moodle(..., schoice = list(abstention = "Abstencion"))

when calling exams2moodle() or add

\exabstention{Abstencion}

in the meta-information of the corresponding .Rnw file. Both will lead to the desired addition of an extra choice button whose selection will not lead to positive or negative points.

Can you please try whether this works as intended for your examples? The current code can be checked out from the SVN on R-Forge but unfortunately no .tar.gz and .zip packages are built automatically. If you need guidance on how to do so, let me know.

By: Xavier Fernández i Marín on 2015-05-02 07:40
[forum:42210]
It would be great if you can discuss it and propose a solution. Although I understand that it would be difficult as it involves not only the "exams" package itself, but also dealing with Moodle XML.

Please, do not hesitate to request any help if I can do something.

By: Achim Zeileis on 2015-05-01 19:17
[forum:42209]
The "penalty" is used in Moodle XML for the whole <question>, so I don't think that this can be leveraged for this purpose.

In principle, I think it should be possible to use the "fraction" attribute of the <answer> in Moodle XML. But even if it does work, I'm not sure where to integrate it into exams2moodle(). The option does not fit into the schoice Sweave files because conceptually this only has correct and incorrect answers (without the possibility for abstention).

Maybe one could add an "abstention" argument for make_question_moodle(). I'll discuss this with my co-authors...

Introduce an answer with no penalization in multiple choice (export to moodle) [ reply ]
By: Xavier Fernández i Marín on 2015-05-01 18:19
[forum:42208]
Dear all,

First of all, many thanks for developing 'exams'. It is becoming more and more
central to my teaching instruments with time.

One of the major concerns of students when dealing with multiple choice
questions in moodle is the inability to unselect a previously selected answer.
This implies that once a student decides to select an answer, he/she can change
it, but it is not possible to unselect (and therefore not being penalized in
case the answer is wrong). This is a well known problem in moodle, but it
does not seem to have a promising solution right now (the request dates back to
2006!):
https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-5311

One of the shortcomings would be to generate another answer in a multiple choice
environment that does not penalize:

1. Answer 1 (correct, 1 point)
2. Answer 2 (incorrect, penalized by 0.33)
3. Answer 3 (incorrect, penalized by 0.33)
4. "No answer" (neutral, not positive neither negative reward)

The most obvious would be to use the "penalty" argument in exams2moodle(), but
it only allows one value of penalization, not different values.

So I think that, if it is possible to include such an option, this would imply
probably tweaking the Sweave file, but I haven't been able to produce such a
result.

So, to sum up, is it possible to introduce an answer that does not penalize?

Thank you very much.

Thanks to:
Vienna University of Economics and Business University of Wisconsin - Madison Powered By FusionForge